The Mañana Criteria
All hotels on mananatravel.com are committed to leave a clear and positive footprint, aiming for their business to operate under the following criteria.
- Concretely work on curbing their electric usage with measures adopted to minimize overall energy consumption.
- Use natural energy sources to greatest extend possible and an action plan in place for how they will increasingly use renewable energy in the near future.
- Concretely work to improve water efficiency with measures adopted to minimize overall water consumption.
- Serve only local water in the form most suitable for respective hotel (i.e. no imported water).
- Use waste water recycling to ensure re-usage of waste water.
- Have recycling programme in place with mechanisms to reduce waste.
- Efforts to avoid amenities wastage, such as choosing less packaging and environmentally friendly materials.
- Use composting techniques.
- Have guests recycle bins available.
- Avoid unnecessary and dangerous chemical cleaning products.
- Apply a conscious, water-preserving washing policy.
- Consider sustainable design, construction, and operation principles in new developments to ensure respect for natural and cultural heritage surroundings.
- Source employees and seek collaborations primarily from the local community.
- Pay employees just wages and treat staff with dignity and respect.
- Offer employees professional development opportunities, including staff education in environmental and sustainable practices.
- Have a gender policy in place, with equal employment opportunities to women, local minorities and others, including in management positions, while restraining child labor.
- Maximize social and economic benefits for the local community and minimize negative impacts.
- Cooperate with and use local suppliers and businesses for materials, food, plants etc.
- Actively support local development needs and projects.
- Comply with local laws, including national/local tax laws.